Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Comfort Foods- Tuna Noodle Casserole

I love comfort food. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes smothered in gravy. Macaroni and cheese (from that blue box.. awful I know!), something comforting and familiar after a really bad day. Or just something to give you that cozy feeling on a cold or rainy afternoon. One of my all time favorites has always been tuna noodle casserole. Since I like to make everything my own, I've tinkered with a basic, bare bones recipe and made it into something we really look forward to.

Tuna Noodle Casserole:

Preheat oven to 325 F

I bag of wide egg noodles
1 large cream of chicken soup**
2 cream of celery soup**
2 small or one large can chunk tuna in water, drained and flaked
Peas, and / or carrots (This is optional. I make it with and without veggies, sometimes with just carrots, or peas- but fresh or frozen work best if you add veggies)


Spice It Up:
salt
pepper
Lawry's
onion salt
butter

Boil egg noodles in butter, salt and Lawry's. Drain, toss back in the pot. Add 1-2 tsp butter, tuna, soups, and seasonings (just a dash of each will do you.) Mix together until noodles are coated, pour into a casserole dish- I usually grab a 9x13. Cover with foil and cook in a 350 F oven for 35-45 mins.

Voila! It's warm, it's delicious and it's not hard to make. Kids generally love it, and if yours aren't too picky, replace one can of the cream of celery with a can of cheddar cheese soup. **

This is a favorite in our house- maybe it will become a favorite in yours!

Kitchen Confession:
** I only use Campbell's soups. They have a much richer texture and flavor. No skimping on the soups- it makes all the difference in the world!

1 comment:

Alluring Interiors said...

I remember eating this as a child....I'm sooooo making that for dinner! Thanks for the memories!